Liquid waste disposal & septic tanks

This information is particularly relevant for those outside the reach of municipal wastewater systems operated by District Councils.

If you want to dispose of trade or commercial waste into water (a stream or river), you’ll need a resource consent from the Regional Council.

If you’re discharging trade waste into a community wastewater system, you’ll need to comply with any trade waste bylaws or rules imposed by your District Council.

Domestic wastewater

Domestic wastewater requires proper treatment before discharge to land. You won't need a resource consent as long as you meet certain conditions:

  • The discharge must be more than 25m from a surface stream or 50m from a water supply well or spring.
  • You must also make sure that there is no surface ponding, that there is no run-off into a stream, and there are no significant environmental effects.
  • You also need to meet District Council building requirements.

You must meet all of these requirements. Otherwise, you will need a resource consent.