Apply for a consent

Once you're familiar with the resource consent process and are ready to put together your consent application, you will need to locate the correct application form for your activity.

You will need to use our consent forms and possibly some of our online tools to help. The clearer you describe what you want to do and where you want to do it, the easier the process of lodging an application will be.

It's important you show where you wish to carry out your activity. You can create a map of where the activity will take place - see maps here(external link)

Consent forms relating to withdrawal, surrender or transfer, and submission forms are only available as downloadable PDFs. 

Please contact us if you need help finding anything -

Please read the below items before starting.

Online forms - what you'll need

The first step with any online forms is to log in with RealMe, or create a RealMe login if you don't already have one.

Note: You only need one RealMe login with a single username and password which will give you access to a range of services where RealMe access is required. The RealMe login is designed to protect your privacy and security.

Payment options are credit card or internet banking.

To complete a consent application you may need to upload some files first such as -

  • Site photos (e.g. for a culvert/bridge)
  • Plans
  • Written approval forms
  • Supporting documents

You may find it easier if you have these files ready before you start the online application. After you start the application you can save your progress and complete the application later.

Are you making a coastal application?

Before lodging any application for an activity in the Coastal Marine Area, you must seek comment from those who have lodged applications under the Marine and Coastal Areas (Takutai Moana) Act. Please let the consents team ( know the location of your intended activity and they will advise you who to contact.

Legal requirements for all applicants

You need to be aware of what the Resource Management Act (RMA) requires of applicants. The relevant extracts can be downloaded here.

Information required under Schedule 4 of the RMA [PDF, 72 KB]

Part 2 of the RMA [PDF, 70 KB]


Consent forms

After reading the information on this page, follow the link here to find out which resource consent application form you require.

What consent form do I need?