Experience Tūpare's beautifully restored garden and home. Sculpted from a hillside overlooking the Waiwhakaiho River, this is a premier landscaped garden.
The Mangorei Rd property that was to become Tūpare was a wilderness in 1931 when Russell and Mary Matthews bought it.
How to get here
Open daily - free entry
Winter hours: 9am-5pm
Daylight saving hours: 9am-8pm
- Toilets available
- Mobility vehicle available on request
- Free gas barbecue on river flat
- Picnic areas on river flat
- Please, no dogs
The Riverside School
The Riverside School is a study unit developed by the Taranaki Regional Council outlining the activities available for teachers and classes visiting Tupare. The 9 activity options include walks, studies focusing on trees and birdlife, and a stream study.Tupare Riverside School (single document only)
Performers & stallholders, we want you!
Be part of the action at our garden fairs this summer!
If you would like to perform or display or sell food, wine, art, garden plants or other products at our fairs at Tupare and/or Hollard Gardens, download the registration form, fill out the details and get it back to us.
- Tupare Garden Fair, Saturday 7 January, 10am–3pm.
- Tupare Waitangi Weekend Garden Fair, Saturday 4 February, 10am–3pm.
- Hollard Gardens Country Fair, Sunday 9 April, 10am–3pm.