Taranaki Regional Council has held two community conversations in 2023 on transport in the region.
Better Travel Choices - September to October 2023
Public consultation on the two documents that make up the Better Travel Choices for Taranaki strategy was held between September and October 2023. The strategy includes a new active travel strategy and an updated Regional Public Transport Plan.
Better Travel Choices for Taranaki sets out a series of ideas and options that respond to “The Road Ahead” regional transport conversation earlier this year. We want to have more people travelling by options other than the private car for more of their journeys and to succeed we must:
- Support an active (walking, cycling and other active travel) and public transport system that provides safe, healthy and environmentally sustainable options for a range of journeys.
- Deliver a bus network that you can rely on, and which gives additional choice for more people, for a wider range of journeys and
- Provide a public transport system that is well-integrated with other modes of transport.
Feedback was sought on the proposed Regional Public Transport Plan, including possible improvements to the bus network and the proposed Better Travel Choices for Taranaki strategy, around proposals to improve safe journeys for all pedestrians, cyclists and public transport users – especially for those with mobility and accessibility issues.
The two parts of the strategy, which will feed into how the Council develops the Regional Land Transport Plan next year, can be downloaded below:
Thank you to those who gave their views. This page will be updated once we have put together a report on the feedback we received and we'll provide more information on how we you can get involved again next year when we seek feedback on the Regional Land Transport Plan.
The Road Ahead consultation - March 2023
The engagement gathered information to inform policy development of the Better Transport Choices strategy by Taranaki Regional Council, to inform the development of Speed Management Plans by New Plymouth District Council, Stratford District Council and South Taranaki District Council and seek feedback about bus routes across the region.
We sought feedback in four key focus areas. In addition to these focus areas participants were given the opportunity to provide feedback on any other issues of importance to them.
- Road safety and speed management.
- Long-term vision for transport in Taranaki.
- Public transport (including buses and rail).
- Cycling, walking and active travel.
We had 1805 responses which included comments, submissions and completed surveys across all channels with over 15,000 individual pieces of feedback on our online survey alone. Click below to download the survey report.