Anyone living in the Taranaki region and with an impairment that affects their ability to use public transport can apply to join the Total Mobility Scheme.
An eligible person must have an impairment that prevents them from undertaking any one or more of the following components of a public transport journey on public passenger transport, (in Taranaki that is a bus journey), unaccompanied and without assistance, in a safe and dignified manner:
- Getting to and from the nearest bus stop.
- Standing and waiting for the transport (where there is no seat),
- Getting on or off the bus.
- Handling money or a bus ticket.
- Riding securely on the bus.
- Travelling without getting confused or anxious.
- Travelling on an accessible bus if available.
An impairment can be permanent or temporary (six months or more).
You will need to undergo a medical assessment to confirm your eligibility for the Scheme. Your doctor or specialist with knowledge of your medical history is the best person to complete the assessment. Alternatively, AccessAbility is an approved assessment facilitator and can be contacted on their toll-free number 0800 758 700, or by email - email@example.com.
How do I join?
To join the scheme, you need to complete an application form and provide a recent photo for your personal ID card.
Steps toward total mobility:
- Pick up a copy of the Total Mobility form from your doctor, AccessAbility, the Regional Council, or you can download the form from this web page (scroll to the bottom).
- Ask your doctor, specialist or AccessAbility assessor to confirm your medical eligibility (Section C of the application).
- Post the completed form and a named photograph (see section B of the application form), along with the appropriate payment to:
Total Mobility Team
Taranaki Regional Council
Private Bag 713
Contact Total Mobility
Call us on 0800 868 662 or email firstname.lastname@example.org