Citylink and Connector buses have closed-circuit television cameras. FInd out why they do, and how and where the images may be used.
The Taranaki Regional Council's Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV) policy outlines the purpose of operating CCTV cameras on the Citylink and Connector buses, who is responsible for the system, how and when the images may be used and other general information.
This policy is designed to protect the privacy of individuals and comply with our legal obligations under the Privacy Act 1993. Consideration has also been given to the Guidelines for Privacy and CCTV published by the Privacy Commissioner.
The purpose of public transport CCTV systems is to contribute to a public transport network where passengers, employees and the general public feel safe. The CCTV cameras may be used for the following purposes:
- Deterring criminal activity, objectionable behavior and safety incidents from occurring on the public buses.
- Detecting and capturing evidence of criminal activity, objectionable behavior and safety incidents occurring on the public buses.
- Responding to complaints from passengers and the general public.
- Research and driver training.
The following people are responsible for the CCTV system in operation on their respective services:
Citylink: Manager, Tranzit Coachlines, Taranaki.
Connector: Managing Director, Pickering Motors Ltd.
- Oversee the daily operation of the system.
- Be the first point of contact for any enquiries or complaints regarding the operation of the system and/or image requests.
- Be the first point of contact for any faults or issues with the system.
Only those responsible for the CCTV systems have access to images. However, they may grant access to relevant Council staff as and when required. Images may be disclosed to Police or other authorities for the purpose of upholding the law. Images may be used in court or tribunal proceedings.
Any individual recorded by the Citylink or Connector CCTV cameras has the right to access those images containing their personal information. Any request by an individual to access CCTV footage will be assessed in relation to the ability to readily retrieve the images and to maintain the privacy of any other identifiable individual in the footage.
CCTV cameras on board the Citylink and Connector services do not operate on a continuous basis and only record during normal operating hours.
Retention and deletion of images
Camera footage is automatically overwritten by new footage. Due to the storage capacity of the CCTV systems and the limited hours of use, it may be up to two months before images are overwritten.
Signage and information
Signage will be displayed on all public buses with CCTV systems operating advising passengers of the presence of CCTV cameras.
A copy of the Council’s CCTV policy is available on the Council’s website.