Types of resource consent

The Council’s main consent types are discharge consents, wellsite consents, land use consents, water permits and coastal permits.

Resource consents incorporate conditions to avoid, fix or reduce effects on the environment resulting from an activity.

Resource consents are not needed for some minor activities which are permitted by rules in our Regional Plans. Council officers can advise you which activities are 'permitted' within our Regional Plans.

For building permits, other land-use consents or a subdivision consent, you will need to contact the New Plymouth, Stratford or South Taranaki District Councils.

NOTE: Some activities may require resource consents from your local District Council as well as the Regional Council. In such situations, applications to both Councils may be processed at the same time.

See our interactive tool: What consent form do I need?(external link)