The Natural Resources Plan for Taranaki will replace the Council's Regional Freshwater Plan and your feedback will guide the targets, limits and rules in the plan that ensure we manage freshwater effectively for the whole community.
As part of this process, we're looking to create six Freshwater Management Units (FMUs) in our region which group together waterbodies of similar type into geographically defined areas. We want feedback on the draft FMUs, the visions that will establish the long-term goals for those units and the values which apply to them.
Have your say
The future of our freshwater is in your hands so we want as many people as possible to have their say on visions, values, Freshwater Management Units, limits, targets and the Natu...
Essential Freshwater: Vision
In the first phase of engagement on the future of freshwater in our region, we asked the community what a long-term vision for freshwater was.
Freshwater Management Units
We need help from our community to establish new ways to care for freshwater. To understand and manage this, we plan to create six Freshwater Management Units.
- Freshwater Management in Taranaki
- Northern Hill Country Freshwater Management Unit
- Coastal Terraces Freshwater Management Unit
- Southern Hill Country Freshwater Management Unit
- Volcanic Ring Plain Freshwater Management Unit
- Patea Catchment Freshwater Management Unit
- Waitara Catchment Freshwater Management Unit
Te Mana o te Wai
Te Mana o te Wai refers to the fundamental importance of water and recognises that protecting the health of freshwater protects the health and well-being of the wider environment.
Essential freshwater: Key dates and timeline
Background and key documents
The Government's Essential Freshwater package was released in 2020 and is aimed at stopping further degradation of freshwater, making immediate improvements to water quality and reversing past damage to bring waterways and ecosystems to a healthy state within a generation.
The package includes:
- The National Environmental Standards for Freshwater (external link)
- The National Policy Statement for Freshwater Management(external link)
- New stock exclusions
- Amendments to the Resource Management Act for a faster freshwater planning process, mandatory and enforceable freshwater farm plans and nitrogen fertiliser sales reporting regulations.