The 2009 Navigation Safety Bylaws for Port Taranaki and its Approaches are currently under review.
The bylaws cover the Port area and its approaches only. Other coastal areas in Taranaki are under the jurisdiction of Maritime New Zealand.
The Navigation Safety Bylaws for Port Taranaki and its Approaches sets out different management areas within the Port Taranaki harbour, with rules to ensure navigation safety for harbour users.
Under the Local Government Act 2002, bylaws are required to be reviewed every 10 years to ensure that they continue to be relevant and effective. The Taranaki Regional Council has commenced a review and is currently consulting on the proposals.
Before making any changes to bylaws, the Council must engage with the public on the proposed changes and provide the opportunity for the public to give feedback on the proposal and, if desired, speak to the Council on their submission.The Council is now seeking such feedback.
Until the completion of the engagement process and subsequent adoption of the proposed bylaws by the Council, the current bylaws remain in force.
Make a submission
The Council welcomes your views and feedback.
Any organisation or member of the public may make a submission on the Statement of Proposal or the Proposed Navigation Safety Bylaws for Port Taranaki and its Approaches.
A submission is a statement in support of, or in opposition to, any part of the Statement of Proposal or the Proposed Navigation Safety Bylaws for Port Taranaki and its Approaches.
Submissions may focus on:
- The effectiveness of the proposed bylaws in managing risks to navigation and safety in Port Taranaki and its approaches,
- Identifying any cross boundary or management issues.
- Identifying any gaps or additional activities required to manage risks to navigation and safety in Port Taranaki and its approaches
If you would like to make a submission, follow the link to the online form. Alternatively, if you do not wish to submit but do want to be kept up to date with the review process, follow the link to the registration form to receive updates and information as it come available. Submitters will be automatically added to the mailing list and do not need to register.
Note: these forms work best in Chrome.
|Make a submission(external link)||Register for updates(external link)|
You can also submit by:
- Emailing your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Submission on the Proposed Navigation Safety Bylaws for Port Taranaki and its Approaches’ as the subject heading.
- Posting your submission to: Submission on Proposed Navigation Safety Bylaws for Port Taranaki and its Approaches, Taranaki Regional Council, Private Bag 713, Stratford 4352.
If you are making a submission by email or by post, please include your contact details and whether you wish to speak to your submission at a hearing.
Submissions are open until 5pm on Friday 21 August 2020.
When making a submission:
- Clearly state your name, address, email, telephone number and preferences on being heard at a hearing
- State the most important points you want the Taranaki Regional Council to consider.
- Make your comments as specific as possible.
- Include the relevant section to which your comments refer.
Want to know more?
To find out more about the Proposed Navigation Safety Bylaws for Port Taranaki and its Approaches, come along to a public presentation at 6pm on Thursday, 6 August, at the New Plymouth Yacht Club, Ocean View Parade, Moturoa. All welcome.